- 2011 Review of the Literature on Rape and Sexual Assault by Dr Nina Burrowes (NB Research)
- 2013 The Rape and Sexual Assault of Men: A Review of the Literature by Dr Nina Burrowes and Tessa Horvath for Survivors UK
- ‘The courage to be me’ is an illustrated story about courage, self-compassion and hope after rape or sexual abuse by Dr Nina Burrowes
- http://everydayvictimblaming.com/ Survivors of rape, sexual abuse and domestic violence share their experiences.
- http://rapecrisis.org.uk/videos.php this website has two very powerful videos on it containing the titles ‘Rape is Rape’ and ‘If you could see yourself’ which attempt to dispel any myths that people may have when it comes to rape and sexual assault.
- The Code of Practice for Victims of Crime – code of practice which governs services for victims of criminal conduct in England in Wales.
Child Sexual Abuse
- ‘How to spot chid exploitation’ http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/abuse/Pages/child-sexual-exploitation-signs.aspx
- NSPCC helpline and child line: http://www.nspcc.org.uk/fighting-for-childhood/nspcc-helpline-childline/ Helpline email: [email protected]. Or alternatively the telephone number: 0808 800 5000. If you are worried about a child, no matter how small of an issue and would like some professional advice, their trained counsellors are available 24/7.
- 18 or under? ChildLine offers free, confidential advice and support whatever your worry, whenever you need help. Telephone: 0800 1111
- ‘Spotting signs of child sexual abuse’ http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/abuse/Pages/child-sexual-abuse.aspx
- ‘Abuse in Teenage relationships’ http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/teengirls/Pages/relationshipviolence.aspx
- ‘Is your teenager’s relationship healthy?’ http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/women1839/Pages/Teenrelationshipabuse.aspx
- vInspired’s Love is…? – a campaign to get young people thinking about healthy relationships
- Respect – confidential and anonymous helpline for anyone worried that they are being violent and/or abusive towards their partner or ex-partner. Free Helpline Number: 0808 802 4040
- Refuge – provides a range of different services to women experiencing domestic violence. These include help with housing, legal advice and support. Website: http://www.refuge.org.uk 24 hour helpline: 0808 2000 247
- Berkshire Women’s Aid – provide support to victims of domestic abuse in Reading, Bracknell, Wokingham and the surrounding areas. Website: http://www.berkshirewomensaid.org.uk/ Helpline: 0118 950 4003
Specialist LGBT organisations
- Support U is a resource service for people needing support on LGBT issues. Website: http://www.supportu.org.uk/index.php Telephone: 0118 321 9111
- Broken Rainbow – Provides a helpline service for those in LGBT relationships that are experiencing domestic abuse. Website: http://www.brokenrainbow.org.uk/help/helpline Free Helpline Number: 0300 999 5428
- Terrence Higgins Trust – largest HIV and sexual health charity in the UK which provides support for LGBT people living with HIV. Website: http://www.tht.org.uk/ Confidential Telephone Number: 0808 802 1221, Email: [email protected].
- TVPS is a charity that provides HIV testing & support in Slough, Reading & across Berkshire. Website: http://www.tvps.org.uk/ Contact the Reading office – Email: [email protected] Tel: 0118 9353730. Contact the Slough office – Email: [email protected] Tel: 01628 6034
Pregnancy and abortion
- BPAS Abortion Care– provides support about terminating an unwanted pregnancy. Website: https://www.bpas.org/
- Marie Stopes– help and advice on a variety of different issues including contraception, fertility, termination and vasectomy. Website: https://www.mariestopes.org.uk/ 24 hour helpline: 0345 300 8090
- Pregnancy and Birth Line– provides practical and emotional support. Website: http://www.pregnancybirthbaby.org.au/ Free helpline: 1800 882 436
Suicidal Thoughts and Self Harm
- Maytree – a centre that offers a four night stay for people who are in suicidal crisis for anyone in the country. 24 hour helpline: 020 7263 7070
- Self-Injury Support – national organisation that helps both girls and women who are affected by self-harm. Helpline 0808 800 8088, Website: http://www.selfinjurysupport.org.uk/
- Berkshire Mental Health Crisis Service which provides support for people suffering from mental illness. Website: http://www.berkshirehealthcare.nhs.uk/ServiceCatInfo.asp?id=89
- Samaritans – Confidential helpline: 08457 90 90 90 (24 hours every day)
- Survivors UK support men who have been raped and sexually abused, in addition to their partners and families. Website: https://www.survivorsuk.org/
- Male Survivors Berkshire support men who have been raped and sexually abused, Helpline number: 0300 999 75 30, Website: http://malesurvivorsberkshire.org/